August 11, 2020
2. Last meeting minutes
3. Wrap-up of first week sales, and where to go from here.
4. What's next for Word Addicts?
- The discussion resulted in the following decisions:
- For our regular, ongoing, monthly meetings we are going to write and critique. We came up with a basic structure for how this will work. We'll see how it goes.
- On a rotating schedule, we will take turns partnering with other team members. James will create the schedule and put it on the bulletins blog.
- These pairs will share portions of their current writing projects with each other. They will edit each other and provide positive and constructive feedback. Writers will consider the edit recommendations of their teammate.
- At the next meeting, each pair will report on what they learned. I would like concrete things, such as, "I realize I use the word 'the' way too much," or , "I learned I use beats in dialogue attribution so I don't have to use attribution verbs so often." You will teach us what you learned so we can learn what you're teaching.
- For our online outreach and presence:
- There are really two parts to our group. There's the more insular, local part. Then there's the worldwide presence we seek to have. This presence will help each of us individually as we release our own books. Here are some things we will do to build that presence:
- Query critique: We'll offer to look at the query of a writer. We'll upload it into the Google Drive and give the writer suggestions. The specifics for how to request queries and offer this to people were not finalized.
- Offer to buy a book, read it, and review it on Word Addicts blog and Amazon.
- First page/Chapter Critique: We can run a contest and the winner can receive a critique.
- These things were discussed but the roll-out and specifics were not finalized. We can hash it out over Messenger. I believe there will be trials, errors, adjustments to everything we do along the way.